Design of LED fixture
As usual design process in the case of typical LED fixture consists of four basic stages:
1.Design of LED PCB.
- choosing LED array configuration in accordance to secondary optics (lenses or reflectors) or Chip-On-Board (COB) package, layout of PCB, type of electrical connection of DC input voltage (soldering pads for wiring, standard on-board terminals, standard connectors and accessories)
input data: Requirement Specification (RS) for LED fixture: output light (Lm), CRI, spatial feature of light distribution, color temperature; which should be defined by professional lighting design terminology.
output data: drawing of LED PCB (size, shape), input electrical DC power, parameters of secondary optics, junction to PCB prototyping.
- choosing of heat sink (standard or original), its main parameters (material, volume, area of surface, size, shape); choosing of the standard active cooling module, fansink or fan (power, flow rate, size, operating voltage) for original design special cooling system.
- it is very important to choose the appropriate thermal interface material for providing proper thermal coupling between LED PCB and contact surface of heat sink
input data: input electrical DC power, range of ambient temperature under operation conditions, size and shape of secondary optics.
output data: drawing of HS or Active Cooling Module (ACM) as HS + fan combination, RS for ACM powering, RS for Thermal Control Circuitry (TCC) as fan speed control (PCB for TCC), junction to HS and PCB TCC prototyping.
3. Design of powering system
- choosing of one stage powering (main AC will be applied to the power terminals of LED fixture) or two stage powering (DC will be applied to the power terminals of LED fixture and intermediate AC/DC converting stage should be realized at some constructive unit – power supply or LED driver);
- checking of requirements for dimming function;
- choosing of type of power source (constant voltage or constant current) accordingly to total input impedance (power lines in combination with LEDs as electrical load);
- choosing of type of power lines (wiring, rail system), placement of power unit (integrated with housing of LED fixture or intermediate junction box);
- choosing of type of electrical connection between power sources, power lines and input terminals of LED fixture;
- checking of compliance of temperature operating range of LED fixture to range of ambient temperature under working conditions;
input data: input AC power, length of power lines, and range of ambient temperature.
output data: weight,dimensions, shape of power supply (LED driver).
4. Design of housing of LED fixture.
- determination the general shape, dimensions and material of housing and its main assemblies;
- composing and mechanical fitting of main part and sub-assemblies (as HS, fan, lens/reflector, LED PCB, thermal collar, etc);
- checking the proper conditions for conductive (thermal coupling of metal elements, as “thermal bridges” between HS and housing itself) and convective (enough space for air moving, “vortex generators”) heat transfer;
- checking appropriate conditions for assembling and disassembling process in the manufacturing.
input data: drawings of main parts and sub-assemblies
output data: complete set of technical documentation for LED fixture manufacturing.
We are proud to offer you our capabilities in the design of LED fixture (as whole process or each stage of it).
We know that during project development some bottleneck could happen and Project Manager needs hands-on experienced team to resolve problems ASAP.
In our design portfolio we have 497 design files based on application of the different LED components: NICHIA, CREE, CITIZEN, BRIDGELUX, SHARP; and we will be glad to help you.